Thursday, January 22, 2015

I'm That Mom Next Door

“You probably don’t expect the nice mom next door to be getting high,” starts a report on ABC’s “Nightline” titled “Confessions of a Pot Mom.” It originally aired Sept 23rd, 2014 and now seems to be coming up in my Facebook news feed featured in High Times Magazine, and of course The Cannabist. Well, this Canadian Mom is one of those mom’s next door who’s getting high. And I make no apology for it, thought I’m not about to start announcing it from the roof top just yet. Give me at least a year on this stuff and then we shall see. 

Not being in Colorado or Washington States where it is legal to use Cannabis, but instead being in Canada where nothing yet has changed presents some unique challenges. Here are a few I am struggling with.

The first is me! I’m the kind of person who likes to hit the ground running. When I take something on I’m all in, or not at all. I’m not a half-assed type person. So one of my struggles is that I am a newbie. Somehow I want to be more seasoned before I hardly have started. One month and only nine doses in and I’m already wishing I was into bongs, and pipes, and edibles, able to have a puff and head to work, or hang with some friends for the evening and enjoy a bowl together. I have to be reminded frequently to just take one dose at a time and keep on keepin’ on. Gotta start somewhere and not despise my new (and small) beginnings.

Second biggest frustration is all this information available on the internet about strains, and special varieties of cannabis. Each one with slightly different personalities and effects depending on what you need medically or want recreationally. The two families; Sativa or Indica plus hybrids of the two. Then there are the variations with names like Royal Kush, Sour Diesel, or Bubblegum. Before I started I asked Sensei what strain it was that they usually purchased from the supplier. I was actually disappointed to hear I can’t choose what I purchase on the illegal market. Ha! Funny. To some degree I’m over educated on weed! Of course, this only makes me want to get into growing my own so I can have a choice, but that’s not going to be happening any time soon either! That, or I need to encourage Sensei to get a passport so we can do a road trip across country to do some testing where it is legal! Hmmm, Cannabis Vacations sounds like a good business for someone to start. (Note: It already exists...http://coloradohighlifetours.com/ )

Third frustration. I have to hide my cannabis use. Seeing Jane West smoking pot on National television, standing up to society to re-educate a Nation is admittedly inspiring. It’s exactly the kind of thing I would love to eventually do, or at the very least support.  But I think for Canadians, at least for now, that’s not going to happen for a few years. So in the meantime I will have to follow and learn from what’s happening in the States. If jobs are increasing currently in the Cannabis Industry there, they will eventually grow here. If Women are making a big impact in the States both in advocacy and business now, we will eventually be doing the same thing here. Meanwhile, I am willing to watch and learn, and wait my turn to join in when things do change here. For the time being I will learn to be content in continuing this journey as I get more experienced in smoking and hand rolling my own little joints. Eventually taking on new experiences with pipes, bongs, and edibles. Probably even experimenting with dabs, vapes and finding out what this crystal catcher on my grinder will provide me! (See? Such a newbie!)

So I guess I have a pot bucket list of things to experience before I can be any kind of mentor to others when prohibition lifts here in Canada. Lots to learn, lots to do, and courage to gather. But as I said before, when I start something, it’s all or nothing. And I’m all in baby! 

For your entertainment, and education. Here is a video called Stoned Moms that I watched even prior to my first experience with pot. This is partly why I'm over educated in some areas. Highly educational. 
Enjoy.





No comments:

Post a Comment