Sunday, February 15, 2015

My Visit to MFT

I wish I was Legal. I've heard it a few times now. So listen up, and I'll tell you.

I have the honour of knowing many people now who use marijuana as their medicine, legally or not. Whether they realized when they started that it would bring benefit into their lives or not, it eventually because medicinal for them. 
But this is Canada, so medical marijuana use is legal, if you can figure out how to go legal! That's the trick. I had no idea, but I knew that MFT would be a good place to start. It was Sensei’s confession of a desire to know the process too that really got me over my nerves and out the door. I always find it easier to do things for others instead of myself. So, whatever works…

It was a great experience! I found the staff very friendly and helpful when I showed up without an appointment. The most awkward part was talking to someone about smoking joints already, illegally, without using code words or speaking in hushed tones. They understood, they have all had to go through that same jarring experience. From illegal to legal changes your whole world.

After stammering through my questions about how can MFT help me I got a lot of good answers and came away knowing that I am exactly the right kind of person to get legal access to Cannabis. I walked out of there 20 minutes later with a file folder full of paperwork to fill out, a two item list of things to get, and the knowledge that once the process is started it will be only a matter of 3 weeks before I could have my first order in. Wow!

So here’s the low down. Marihuana For Trauma is Veterans helping Veterans. 
As a civilian MFT will work with us just as readily as they do for Vets, First Responders and serving military. 

A Skype date with the Doctor is set up about a week after all my paperwork is handed in. The paperwork includes permission to share information between doctor, MFT and the dispensary. A Patient Information sheet for the doctor, and an Application for the Cannabis Dispensary (MedReleaf), and an Application/Patient info for MFT. About 20 pages in all to fill out. Also, I must hunt down my medical records and provide the previous diagnosis of Depression and Osteoarthritis. I know I can do that. I have MRI proof of the OA, and I was once on anti-depressants for about two years. So that should also be in my medical records. I just have to call up the doctor I FIRED and pay them to give me my medical records. Oh! A list from the pharmacist should also be included. Do-able since I already have that somewhere in my tax papers from a couple years ago. Just time consuming, anxiety inducing phone calls and foot work. But in general, no big deal.

After the 45 minute Doctor Skype appointment at the MFT office it takes about another week to get the MMPR card. Upon receiving that I would go in and they will help me make my first purchase online from MedReleaf. The Cannabis Counsellors help you not only make your purchase but also help instruct you in usage. For me that will be great! I still do not yet have a good tolerance of the drug in my system so the suggestion was I might need to use every 4 hours at first to build that tolerance quickly. I’m not ashamed to say every 4 hours sounds a little scary to me…But if it must be done, I will do it…I am a determined woman! 


One of the last things I was told was if the cost of the appointment is prohibitive MFT is in the business of helping, not hindering our access to Medical Marihuana. They can work with me and put a payment plan in place if it’s needed. Secondly, the Medreleaf also can help with cost of purchasing the medical Cannabis. Nothing’s free of course, but knowing that the cost of the medical grade stuff doesn't have to be a prohibitive factor to accessing medicine reduces the stress of having to pay everything out of pocket.

The only thing I want to find out now is about taxes. Out of pocket medical expenses can be claimed on your yearly taxes. If I kept all the recipes from the purchase of Tylenol and Aleve I could claim those as well as the prescriptions I get from the pharmacy, after insurance pays. So would the cost of the doctors appointment and the purchase of medical grade marihuana be included in that tax break? Insurance doesn't cover any of it….I’m sure the Cannabis Counsellors can help answer that question for me when I get around to making my first purchase. So more on that later. 


If you are looking to go legal and have access to the good quality marihuana as well as various strains check out MFTgroup.ca. online or visit them in person. You will not regret it!

No comments:

Post a Comment