Thursday, June 04, 2015

Medicated Oil and Chocolates

With my third purchase made, received and tried out over the last week I was ready to make more medicated oil.  (I know, I’m behind and didn’t tell you about the first time)

The purpose of this oil, though edible is for topical application to my knees and sore arm. I found the topical use helps to decrease my joint pain enough to warrant daily use. My test included daily application for a week followed by two days of not using it. I definitely regretted not using it those two days! There was an increase of pain, a decrease in speed of movement and a decrease in my ability to be on my feet moving. I haven’t gone without using my oil since. 

And then I did something that seemed only logical, yet risky. I rubbed some medicated oil on my daughters back. She had back surgery in April and is still dealing with lots of pain. She medicates with an Extra Strength Tylonal and an Aleve every 8 hours, but her pain and the shooting nerve pain that occurs numerous times a day just makes her miserable, tired and less focused on her last few weeks of school. The next morning she said it helped and wanted me to put some on her back again before school. She decided to also try putting it on her rib cage under her arm where a shooting nerve pain runs. After two days of applying it in both places I asked some important questions. No, she wasn’t feeling any high at all. Yes, she noticed a decrease in pain in her back, but the effect faded part way through the day. (We need two applications a day if possible). And lastly, regarding the spot under her arm, the CannaCoconut Oil decreased the severity and the frequency of the “attacks” of shooting pain that usually make her hold her breathe and grab her side when it occurs.  Such SWEET success!! 

Her pain is not gone mind you. But I’m not about to medicate her any further than with topical oil. And she has expressed that she is not interested in that anyway. I’m ok with what we are doing for her. Its helping and eventually I’m guessing she will be able to wean off the phamra-drugs first. So what this means for me is making lots more oil to share. 

With my first tiny batch of Infused Coconut Oil (only about a tablespoon worth, skimmed out of my infused oil I made for baking) all but gone I was in need of making more.  Ingredients were Coconut Oil, and three hand picked strains best for pain management. For a wide spectrum of coverage I choose AviDekel (high CBD best for inflammation), Cognitiva (UK Cheese - a Sativa), and Sedamen (Pink Kush - an Indica). 





Medicated Coconut Oil
The Recipe :

1/4 cup of organic Coconut Oil
3.5 g of Cannabis of choice, ground but it doesn't need to be as fine as Shake Flour.
(See about the method I used here)

Put both in a cold pot and turn heat to lowest heat.
Allow coconut oil to melt and mix dry herb in well. 
Let sit on heat. Tiny bubbles that form in the oil are indication that the Cannabinoids are being absorbed by the oil. 

I nursed the mix for 2 hours. Low heat, off, low heat, off, repeat…Stirring (or swirling the pot) often. 

I strained through a small sieve into a coffee filter which was placed in a second larger sieve and over a bowl. The larger pieces of herb I pressed the oil out of into my glass storage jar with the back of a spoon. The coffee filter had very little plant matter, but what was there was very fine. The oil came out very clear and such a pretty colour! 

My dry herb was already crumble in the containers so I did not need to grind it. I do recommend it be at least as ground up as your hand grinder gets it. For baking, grinding it down to Shake Flour would be fine, but for topical oil I wanted only pure oil with little to no plant matter in it. I was very happy with the results of the coffee filter method instead of the cheese clothe. Though I did have to gently squeeze out the last half of the oil to speed up the process when the filter reached saturation. I feel there was not much oil lost to the filter.

In the end I had just under a 1/4 cup of Cannabis Infused Coconut Oil. But I couldn’t just stop there….Cuz I have started to consider making medicated chocolates and candies. I had saved a recipe to Pinterest for medicated chocolate bark. I halved the recipe and adapted it a bit to my taste. The original recipe can be found here….

Since a 1/4 cup is only 4 Tbsps I scooped out 1 Tbsp for a test batch.


CannaChocolates!
Ingredients:

 4 oz chocolate:(I used 2 oz of semi-sweet chocolate, and 2oz of 70% Chocolate)
1 Tbsp  Infused Coconut Oil (or Cannabutter)
(Bit of paraffin wax for consistency)
1/4 cup granola
Toppings:
1/4 cup  chopped dried cranberries
1/4 cup chopped pistachios 

Melt chocolate and infused oil over a double boiler and mix well until fully melted. 

After it was fully mixed I added a few bits of paraffin wax. Its used to make the finished product glossy, but since I added extra oil I didn't want my end result to melt in my hands, so the wax helps reduce that effect too.

Once fully melted and mixed I removed the bowl from the heat and added in my own home made granola, and all the chopped dried cranberries. (I had to chop more for the topping since I did that). 

In tiny chocolate cups (they are silver inside to let sticky candy or chocolate just slide out) I carefully spooned about 3 demi spoons into each cup, making 16. Working quickly before it cools too much I topped each cup with chopped Pistachios, then Chopped cranberries and as a finishing touch I dusted each with gold dust. Just cuz it’s for me doesn’t mean I can’t feel fancy!

Serving size for me is 2 chocolates. I wouldn't eat more then that before a work shift. It gives me a nice light sensation. One was too little. 









The math: 

1/4 cup oil =  (4 Tbsp) = 3.68g
1 Tbsp = 0.92g
Divided by 16 chocolates = 0.057g each.

It is true the dose is low. I’m not getting high as a kite off my chocolates. But according to research for medicinal purposes some issues are helped with just micro doses of Cannabis (Learn More Here). Its not really necessary to smoke or eat large amounts to feel the health benefits of Cannabis. I’m not really wanting to spend more money than I really need to that’s for sure! And I do see and feel the decrease of pain from the small doses I take throughout the day. 


Maybe I’ll try suckers next!




No comments:

Post a Comment