Saturday, November 26, 2016

You're Legal - Now What?

First of all, Congratulations!!

You just won the right to carry and consume Cannabis for Medical Purposes. Some of us had a hard time getting that right from our doctors, others found it easier. No matter how hard or easy that was for you, you did it! And now you can breath easier. 

A big congratulations to my personal Sensei, for finally getting legal! Nearly two years after I questioned you to help me try Cannabis, here you are asking me questions. The student becomes the teacher, for this anyway. So happy for you!  

If you used cannabis before you may have a learned fear. That feeling of always looking over your shoulder. You are now allowed to brush that fear off your shoulders. But there are things we still need to know and laws we still need to abide by. That’s what I’m here to tell you about.

Now what? 

First of all, I find it strange that I can’t find a list or article telling us what we need to know now that we are allowed to possess Cannabis. So, I’m writing this to fill a gap the government has left empty.

 
Your Documents:


This is what my prescription looks like.
Most Doctors who prescribe regularly will provide at least one of these documents to you at the end of your appointment. I happen to have two, as my prescribing doc split my prescription between two Licenced Producers (LP's).  I’ve met some customers now who only have one LP, and some who have three. That’s up to you and your doctor. 

DO: You need to carry at least one (better if all) of these prescriptions on you at all times. 

A Licenced  Producer (LP) is a government approved company who has paid big dollars to the government to legally set up a grow op. The process is long, and costly. There are 52 such companies in Canada currently. 

According to the Government of Canada, an LP is the only legal way of purchasing your medical cannabis. Any purchases you make from your LP are taxed, but are also admissible for tax purposes. So far any I've used only take credit card payments. This is unfortunate for people who do not have access to credit, or a computer since the purchases are made online and not over the phone. Also a disadvantage, you are only allowed to make purchases from the one (or two) LP's you are signed up with. So if your Licenced Producer is out of product, you are out of luck for ordering. 
It has happened to me. Its a big flaw in a flaw filled system.
Once you have your prescription, one of two things will happen. The doctor will fax the prescription to the chosen LP, or you will be required to do your own search and submit your script, along with an application form from your chosen company online. Pretty much all of them allow you to self apply as long as you have the original script. The application forms are usually on their front page. (see link below for list of LP’s)

DO: Consider these things when searching for an LP.
1. Are they accepting more clients? (They can only accept as many as they can grow to produce for)
2. Do the sell flower only, or also oil? (Flower for smoking, oil for ingesting)
3. Do they charge for shipping?
4. Cost? and do they have compassionate pricing?
5. Have they had recalls on product? 

Once you apply you will be sent an email letting you know you are approved, your client number and how to make your first purchase. Usually your client card comes with your first purchase. These LP’s are usually set up to take credit card purchases. Not one will take cash, and none are open to the public. So even if you live close to one, that does not mean they have a store front to sell from. They are required by Govt to mail our medicine via Canada Post or Purolator. Shipping is sometimes free, sometimes not. There’s tax on your product too.  Some LP’s are priced at $8/gram and others at $15/gram. Some give compassionate pricing, others do not. You can only purchase in 5 gram lots or bigger.  

This is what my two Prescription Cards look like. Notice that neither have the same info on them. Tilray is even worse. They put the customer name on one side and a client number on the back. Nothing else. (So much for consistent regulations from our govt!) Providing so little information on the cards forces the police to phone the company for more details. 

This is why you should also carry a copy of your original prescription from your doctor, as well as your cards.

Scenario: If you were to be questioned by police while stopped for a simple headlight out, or something boring like that, and they smelled your medicine they can ask you about it. If you provide one of your LP cards, it may not have enough info on it. Always have more than you think you need.

And as far as how much you are allowed to carry on you at any given time….your whole months worth, up to but not to exceed 150 grams. I was prescribed 6 grams a day between the two LP’s.  I am allowed to purchase 180 grams of cannabis per month, but I can only carry 150. Will I carry that much? Doubtful! I might have been prescribed 6 grams, but I am only consuming just under 2 gram per day at present. I don't have the money or the need to have that much on me, unless I'm traveling. 

Yes, you can travel within Canada with your cannabis. Again, have all your documentation and original containers if you can. Some jurisdictions are more strictly regulated than others. You shouldn't have to tell anyone you have your cannabis. If you think of it like any of your other prescriptions, we don't inform Air Canada we packed our opioids or anti-psychotics do we? Why do we feel we need to inform them we have cannabis?
DO: Pack your cannabis in carry on luggage only. Never put it under the plane. Keep all your documents on you and follow laws regarding smoking and vaping in smoking sections only. Never take your medicine if you are traveling internationally. 

I was advised to always have a bottle from one of my LPS with me at all times. Let’s be real here. The bottles and jars do contain all your prescription info so this is a good idea, empty or full. But some of the bottles from different LP’s are really big and not easy to just throw into your purse (and not all of you carry purses). I decided to put an empty container into my car. I have two, one in my trunk, and one in my glovebox. They are both several months old now, and I should swap them out for newer ones. But I’m lazy like the rest of us…so not happening soon. 

Don’t show your dispensary card. 
Don't show your dispensary bottles. 

Dispensaries are currently not regulated and seen by the Government of Canada as illegal. 
Yet many operate anyway. 
I’m exceptionally grateful that I now work in one. But I know I’m at risk because if it. It’s a risk worth taking as far as I’m concerned.

Why can’t you show your dispensary stuff to police? 
If they decide to uphold the full law you could be charged with possession of an illegal substance, because it is not from the government approved Licenced Producer. 

Is that charge likely to stick? No. Not if you're smart about it. Too many cannabis laws have already been challenged and won in the court systems. But the hassle may not be what you were bargaining on. One day, someone will likely have to fight it so we can have better, legal access to dispensaries, but if you're not up to the task, don't risk it, is all I’m saying.

A quick note on what I’ve gleaned about our beautiful Province of New Brunswick…

I work for a dispensary now. We operate daily and have since April 2016. The Police know we exist. A few have been in the store on police matters but never to investigate our business. Why? Because they know we will only take patients who already have up to date medical cannabis licences. And truthfully, if we the people want to continue having access to dispensaries we need to make sure we as clients do our best to uphold our end. Keep our documents up to date,  always provide your client card, and don't invite non-medical patients into the dispensary with you... annnd no sharing your purchases with non clients. Being mindful of these can help our community to continue to have access to the dispensary. 

Side Note: If a dispensary allows you to purchase cannabis from them without seeing a medical doctor, or their doctor does not give you a physical prescription that can also be given to LP's, be wary. You may not have a legal prescription that law enforcement will recognize. See link below for details on what the document should include.


How to Find and Choose a Licenced Producer:

Here are a few links that will be helpful



1. Government of Canada website 

2. Lift - A Canadian hub for all things Cannabis, including strain reviews.
 https://lift.co/producers 

3. What your medical document should include: Gov’t website

4. The governments instructions on obtaining legal medical cannabis

ONE LAST THING!!!

This is your PRESCRIPTION MEDICINE! 
This medicine may not be covered under insurance companies, but it is classified as a medicine now and can be claimed on your taxes! Keep your receipts! And submit them on your taxes under medical expense along with all your other medical expenses.
I did last year and got money back. You have to read the tax laws regarding medical expenses to know how it works…has to do with spending a percentage of your income, and what you pay over that percentage is given back to you. I figure storing a few papers for 7 years is worth the effort for me.


Any more questions? Did I forget something? Ask me here, or ask me on Facebook, find me by the same name. Have a suggested Blog topic? Shoot me a message.

P.S. Any spelling, grammatical, or punctuation mistakes, please forgive me....Its a work in process, just like me.

No comments:

Post a Comment